VISION: Live. Create. Thrive.
Independent artists make a significant contribution to the fabric of Philadelphia through their creative work and professional participation. If artists are able to thrive in this city, it positively impacts their decisions to continue to live and create here. A rich cultural community also has great potential to attract new talent to the city who want to be a part of a supportive arts and culture community.
THE BENEFACTORS OF THESE EFFORTS ARE:
- Philadelphia artists; who are able to thrive by producing their creative work and establishing their careers
- Philadelphia communities whose members are further able to partake in a burgeoning arts scene;
- neighborhoods that are enhanced by the participation of artists;
- education & outreach programs that rely on artists to lead and create arts programs for youth and adults; and
- the city of Philadelphia utilizing all of these factors to build a stronger creative economy.
MISSION: Support. Connect. Retain.
SBMA’s commitment to connecting artists with the resources they need is a direct response to the challenges currently facing the creative community. One of the main barriers to completing arts projects is lack of funding. Providing access to micro-grants and professional and networking opportunities at critical points in the creative process creates momentum and gives artists the chance to gain access to future funding and professional connections. SBMA recognizes that individual artists are an integral part of a strong creative economy. We are especially interested in retaining the city’s creative talent necessary for arts organizations, educational institutions, businesses and communities to also grow and thrive.
Objective #1 – provide artists with micro-grants to continue or complete a creative project
Outcome #1– artists are able to maintain the creative momentum needed to complete projects and advance their careers
Objective #2 – connect artists to existing arts resources
Outcome #2 – artists receive continued support beyond micro-funding
Objective #3 – present professional advancement programs for artists
Outcome #3 – artists are able to advance their creative careers to the next level